What makes a holiday so inspiring? There’s much to be said about holidaying with a large budget but it is often the simple things that make a deeper impression.
I recently travelled to South Africa with my family and adored the change of pace, the soft African light, the early morning calls of the hardee-da birds, ocean swims, mountain hikes and G&T’s sitting on the large sculptural boulders on the beach at sunset – nature never disappoints.
When I travel it is not only the physical experience that excites me but the visual – I take my eyes and mind on holiday!
Cape Town is set between the deep inky blue hues of the Atlantic Ocean and the rugged, powers of Table Mountain. It is the most livable city in Africa, with a reputation as a leading producer of creative, inspiring and innovative design. In this issue of Chronicles I’d like to share a selection of experiences that resonated for their thrill, style, comfort and inspiration.
OUR TOP AIR BNB STAYS IN CAPE TOWN
- CBD Apartment of Art Gallery ‘Whatiftheworld’ founders Justin and Cameron
- The home of Krisjan Roussow – Otomys fine art photographer
- Seahorse Villa – a coastline retreat – book through Luxury Retreats
Photo credit: Justin Rhodes’ CBD Apartment / Krisjan Roussow – De Waterkant / Views from Seahorse on Beta Beach in Bakoven
WALK, SWIM AND EVEN DANCE
- Walk through the Kirstenbosch Gardens and up Skeleton Gorge to the very top of Table Mountain. Catch the cable car back down or … walk!
- District Six Museum for history
- BoKaap District for culture and colour frenzy
- Robben Island to do a half day tour of Nelson Mandela’s prison
- Franschoek for a full day or more of wineries, art galleries and restaurants
- Babylonstoren near Franschoek for food and design
- Chapmans Peak Drive – spectacular scenic drive pref from a vintage car with music on!
- Swim in the icy waters of Camps Bay and Beta Beach and Surf at St James
- Dance at Caprice in Camps Bay on a Sunday Night with a very cool crowd … keep an eye out for artist Krisjan Roussow!
TAKE IN CAPE TOWN’S ART SCENE
Cape Town is culturally diverse and a rich creative hub for the arts. Here are just a few of my favourite Galleries:
• Southern Guild
• Irma Stern Museum
• Goodman Gallery
• Everard Read
• Moor Gallery
WHERE TO EAT & DRINK..
• Buitenverwachting – for a superb formal dinner in a winery setting
• The Planet Bar at The Mount Nelson Hotel CBD
• The Gin Bar
• Morning tea (or an early G&T?) at the Twelve Apostles overlooking the Atlantic Ocean– full of colonial charm!
GET YOUR RETAIL THERAPY FIX
- Cecile & Boyd – a unique and eclectic mix of decor finds
- Bree Street CBD for boutique fashion shops and Greenmarket Square for local souvenirs and sculpture
- Tribal Trends – for upmarket African interior decor
- Neighbourhood Market in Woodstock – Local designers covering fashion, art and interiors
I hope this feature inspires you to holiday in Africa and to enjoy all the creativity and beauty it has to offer. And if you have visited before, share with us below your travel highlights!
Lastly, for a phenomenal wild life experience my all-time favourite Game Reserve up North is Phinda … well worth the trip!